May 30, 2012

Doctor Socks!

So, this is actually my first blog post EVER, but Lizi told me that I had to write about a rather fun experience that I had this morning at the bus stop, so here I am.

I frequently take the bus to work so that I can have some nice quite time to read and relax which has been wonderful. One of the bus stops I wait at on my to work is at Central and Yale. For those of you familiar with Albuquerque, you will know that this particular location is the Mecca of homeless people, druggies and a ton of other rather interesting characters. On this occasion though I was heading to work rather early in the morning and so it was mostly only the normal people. The sun was just peaking over the tops of the shops and I sat down to read my book and enjoy the few minutes until my bus came when the woman a few feet away starts to talk to me. You must know though, that this woman was shorter and rather more plump than normal and very black (not in any kind of racist way, but just so that you understand that she had a very classic black moma voice). Here goes our conversation.

Lady: Scuse me sir, are you a doctor?
Me: No, I'm sorry. I'm not. (At this point I begin wondering why she would think that I am a doctor and what crazy health concern (because of the part of town of course) she is going to ask me about next.
Lady: I just saw yours shoes and socks and they doctor socks! They look just like doctor socks!
Me: (This is where I start smiling and just laughing a little.) Well, I am applying to medical school.
Lady: Oh, you'll get in (again this is all in a very black mama voice).
Me: (I'm thinking to myself; Why? Because I have doctor shoes and socks?)
Lady: You just look the part already! You'll get in...

There was a little more after that, but this lady at the bus stop sure made my morning. It was very comforting too, because now I know that all I have to do to get into medical school is wear "doctor socks!"

-Nathan

3 comments:

  1. haha!! that's awesome! Take it as a good sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HE. That's the most amazing thing I've read. I can just imagine the voice too.

    It reminds me of a time when James was coming home from work on the bus (when his poor car threw the transmission), and there was drunk guys on the bus. One started randomly trying to guess James's name, and another kept whispering to him "you don't know him...PRETEND YOU DON'T KNOW HIM."

    We suspected that they were all part of some band. This was on the 157 route, on Montgomery that goes down Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA*....no idea where that E came from D:

      Delete